Voices: Automation Strategies
At a recent ARC Industry Forum many discussions revolved around digital transformation. According to a presentation by Mike Williams, ARC associate, although industry research indicates that there has been more than 75% of the process industry participating in Industry 4.0 technology evaluation or pilot projects, there is still less than 25% of the industry moving beyond the pilot phase. It would appear that the process industries are lagging behind other industry segments such as automotive and other discrete manufacturers.Read More
More from this author...
- Feb 26, 2019End users should consider forming a cross-functional team to address physical-, cyber- and safety-related risks. At the very minimum you need to make sure that existing discipline-specific teams confer on a regular basis.
- Jan 22, 2019With fines and even criminal convictions at risk, industrial organizations should make serious efforts to ensure that their safety systems are current.
- Nov 13, 2018It is important for users to start small with a proof-of-concept project and not try to “end world hunger” overnight.
- Jul 13, 2018Humans are good at ad hoc intervention and non-linear reasoning. Machines and automation are good at repetitive functions, steady-state functions and transition management.
- May 15, 2018Continuous production could reduce persistent quality problems and help eliminate drug shortages.
- Mar 23, 2018A cyber attack on a safety controller at an oil and gas installation in the Middle East proves that concerns about the possibility of attacks on industrial systems are escalating.
- Jan 16, 2018Companies often don’t understand where and how solutions can be applied to optimal effect, nor how to best integrate legacy technology investments.
- Jun 2, 2017How a specialty-polymers company took a “don’t panic” approach and improved safety, cost, uptime and quality.
- Nov 29, 2016
- Oct 12, 2016When migrating an existing control system to a different supplier’s platform, it’s important to “look under the covers.” Part 3 in a three-part series.
- Mar 29, 2016Basic migration approaches and the costs of change associated with them.
- Nov 17, 2015Determining when to migrate to a new system and developing a process for the upgrade projects.
- Sep 29, 2015ARC Advisory Group Insight provides general guidelines.
- Aug 11, 2015ARC reviews takeaways on information-driven asset performance.
- Apr 7, 2015ARC believes they will improve simplicity, flexibility and efficiency.
- Mar 4, 2015The largest benefit to end users is the de-coupling of automation software from hardware.
- Jan 27, 2015Fast, accurate and reliable analysis of raw materials, work in process and finished product quality is critical.
- Jul 9, 2014Goal is to automate and reduce maintenance costs while sustaining benefits
- Jun 3, 2014Standards, IT technology, cloud-based solutions and advanced analytics work in concert to improve operations.
- Apr 24, 2014What you want to accomplish determines which approach is better to use.
- Mar 17, 2014Industry has an opportunity to lead the revolution.