Voices: Automation Strategies
Digital transformation offers the potential to provide manufacturing companies with a path to future success. But first, those companies must establish both a digital-transformation-ready culture and specific strategies to align these initiatives with business goals grounded in operational realities.Read More
More from this author...
- Jun 4, 2019Company’s approach to digital innovation enables it to identify, develop and implement new strategic technologies.
- May 1, 2019Process industries have unique challenges. BASF and Dow explain how they address these challenges and waltz forward.
- Feb 26, 2019End users should consider forming a cross-functional team to address physical-, cyber- and safety-related risks. At the very minimum you need to make sure that existing discipline-specific teams confer on a regular basis.
- Jan 22, 2019With fines and even criminal convictions at risk, industrial organizations should make serious efforts to ensure that their safety systems are current.
- Nov 13, 2018It is important for users to start small with a proof-of-concept project and not try to “end world hunger” overnight.
- Jul 13, 2018Humans are good at ad hoc intervention and non-linear reasoning. Machines and automation are good at repetitive functions, steady-state functions and transition management.
- May 15, 2018Continuous production could reduce persistent quality problems and help eliminate drug shortages.
- Mar 23, 2018A cyber attack on a safety controller at an oil and gas installation in the Middle East proves that concerns about the possibility of attacks on industrial systems are escalating.
- Jan 16, 2018Companies often don’t understand where and how solutions can be applied to optimal effect, nor how to best integrate legacy technology investments.
- Jun 2, 2017How a specialty-polymers company took a “don’t panic” approach and improved safety, cost, uptime and quality.
- Nov 29, 2016
- Oct 12, 2016When migrating an existing control system to a different supplier’s platform, it’s important to “look under the covers.” Part 3 in a three-part series.
- Mar 29, 2016Basic migration approaches and the costs of change associated with them.
- Nov 17, 2015Determining when to migrate to a new system and developing a process for the upgrade projects.
- Sep 29, 2015ARC Advisory Group Insight provides general guidelines.
- Aug 11, 2015ARC reviews takeaways on information-driven asset performance.
- Apr 7, 2015ARC believes they will improve simplicity, flexibility and efficiency.
- Mar 4, 2015The largest benefit to end users is the de-coupling of automation software from hardware.
- Jan 27, 2015Fast, accurate and reliable analysis of raw materials, work in process and finished product quality is critical.
- Jul 9, 2014Goal is to automate and reduce maintenance costs while sustaining benefits
- Jun 3, 2014Standards, IT technology, cloud-based solutions and advanced analytics work in concert to improve operations.
- Apr 24, 2014What you want to accomplish determines which approach is better to use.
- Mar 17, 2014Industry has an opportunity to lead the revolution.