Several authors [1–5] have investigated and reviewed this subject; appropriate formulas are known for many types of shells/heads. However, three types of heads — side elliptical, dished and torispherical — have lacked proper equations. Unfortunately, these types of heads are used very often.
This article solves that problem, proposing general exact or accurate approximate equations for wetted area for those three types of side heads.
LEONID KORELSTEIN is vice president of research and development for Piping Systems Research and Engineering Co., Moscow. Email him at [email protected].
The author thanks: Nikolai Maximenko for help with the illustrations; Valery Osipov for fruitful cooperation during work on derivation of these formulas; Elena Yudovina and Alexey Timoshkin for ongoing support and productive discussions during this project; Georges Melhem, who inspired the author to engage in this endeavor; and all friends and colleagues at Piping Systems Research and Engineering and the Design Institute for Emergency Relief Systems for their interest and support.
1. “SuperChems Technical Reference,” Chapter 3.3 — Detailed Volume Equations, ioMosaic, Salem, N.H. (2010).
2. Lutus, P., “Storage Container Mathematics,” p. 15, (2014).
3. Jones, D. E., “Find Tank Wetted Surface Area,” Chemical Processing, 80 (2), p. 21 (Feb. 2018).
4. Jones, D. E., “Calculating Tank Wetted Area,” ChemicalProcessing.com, (2017).
5. “Calculate Surface Areas and Cross-sectional Areas in Vessels with Dished Heads,” White Paper WP-14-03, Honeywell, Houston (2014).
6. Doane, R. C., “Accurate Wetted Areas for Partially Filled Vessels,” Chem. Eng.,114 (9), p. 56 (Sept. 2007).