Rockwell Automation Releases PlantPAx MPC Software
Rockwell Automation releases PlantPAx model predictive control (MPC) software, which embeds fully functional MPC technology into Logix controllers. PlantPAx MPC can improve overall control in a single machine or an entire line to help maximize throughput, increase yield, reduce quality variability and improve energy usage, according to the company. PlantPAx MPC is included in the latest release of the PlantPAx modern distributed control system.
Performance advantages, according to the company, include:
- Multivariable Coordination: PlantPAx MPC coordinates multivariable actions in complex process applications to maximize controller performance and maintain quality. A single control-system-based MPC module supports up to five separate MPC applications, and each of those applications can support up to 10 controllable variables and 10 manipulated variables.
- Predictably Handle Outside Disturbances: The software can measure disturbance variables that can’t be controlled, such as ambient humidity. Once detected, the system predictably responds to these disturbances as needed to keep the process optimized.
- Manage Long and Complex Processes: PlantPAx MPC uses dynamic explicit modeling to identify and program the specific responses and requirements for these processes.
- Predictive Response to Constraints: PlantPAx MPC dynamically predicts process behavior against identified constraints and makes proactive adjustments to maintain process performance within identified limits.
- Maximize Equipment Performance: Dynamic and steady-state constraints can be enforced in the software to maximize equipment performance up to its limits.