Solvay Closes Deal For Bayer’s Global Seed Coatings Business

July 7, 2021
The acquisition strengthens Solvay's existing seed care portfolio in bio-based, seed-applied offerings.

Solvay and Bayer say they have successfully closed Solvay's previously announced acquisition of Bayer’s global coatings business, with facilities in Méréville, France and tolling operations in the U.S. and Brazil. The business is recognized for seed coating and seed enhancement products such as Peridiam, fluency powders, Certop, Pro-Ized Pigment, and Talkum and its research and development capabilities for on-seed formulations. The Méréville facility's entire product portfolio, R&D projects and the business line's international tolling operations are now fully transferred to Solvay.

The Méréville facility has 36 permanent employees and conducts research and development of application technologies for seeds, such as seed coating and filming processes, representing around 20% of the site’s activity. The remaining 80% is dedicated to research and formulation of aqueous products called film-coaters.

Seed coatings can best be understood as the “glue” that allows any seed treatment product to bind to the actual seed. In combination, the active ingredient that is coated on the seed helps to protect seeds against insects and diseases that could prevent the seed from germinating or growing. Seed treatments are especially important for field crop seeds such as wheat, rapeseed, maize, sunflower, rice and soya and vegetable seeds such as beetroot.

Solvay will remain a strategic partner for Bayer's seed activities due to exclusive supplier status for film-coating to be used for Bayer SeedGrowth products on Bayer seeds for a period of at least five years.

For more information, visit:

Sponsored Recommendations

Keys to Improving Safety in Chemical Processes (PDF)

Many facilities handle dangerous processes and products on a daily basis. Keeping everything under control demands well-trained people working with the best equipment.

Get Hands-On Training in Emerson's Interactive Plant Environment

Enhance the training experience and increase retention by training hands-on in Emerson's Interactive Plant Environment. Build skills here so you have them where and when it matters...

Managing and Reducing Methane Emission in Upstream Oil & Gas

Measurement Instrumentation for reducing emissions, improving efficiency and ensuring safety.

Micro Motion 4700 Coriolis Configurable Inputs and Outputs Transmitter

The Micro Motion 4700 Coriolis Transmitter offers a compact C1D1 (Zone 1) housing. Bluetooth and Smart Meter Verification are available.