The body of a female orca found on the shores of Scotland last year contains one of the highest concentrations of toxins ever recorded in a marine mammal according to an article from Smithsonian. The whale, or more specifically her blubber, was reportedly contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, at levels more than 100 times the concentration known to cause damage.
Lulu, as the orca was called, died after becoming entangled in fishing nets. She was believed to be at least 20 years old when she died. According to Smithsonian, scientists believe the PCB contamination may have contributed to her death by impairing her ability to free herself from the nets.
Read the entire here.