More than 100 people were treated at local hospitals and another 11,000 were urged to stay indoors after a major chemical spill at MGP Ingredients in Atchison, Kansas, on October 21, according to an article from KSHB. A reaction reportedly occurred when sodium hydrochlorite and sulfuric acid were inadvertently mixed together in the wrong holding tank.
According to the article, massive clouds of gas appeared throughout the city for nearly 90 minutes, causing some road closures, evacuation of the county courthouse and cancellation of classes at an area college. MGP is reportedly cooperating with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Kansas state and local authorities to investigate the spill and response.
Read the entire article here.