Honeywell will provide process technology and automation controls to Iraq’s Karbala refinery, now under construction in Karbala Province, about 120 kilometers south of Baghdad. The grassroots refinery will use refining processes from Honeywell UOP and automation controls from Honeywell Process Solutions (HPS) to allow Iraq’s State Company of Oil Projects’ (SCOP) Karbala refinery to maximize production of fuel and other products that will help offset the more than 350,000 barrels per day of refined products the country currently imports, according to the company. The technologies will also reportedly help meet growing domestic demand with products meeting international standards equivalent to Euro V fuel standards. Startup of the 140,000 barrel-per-day refinery is expected in 2020.
Honeywell technologies licensed for the Karbala refinery include
• The UOP Penex process to upgrade light naphtha feedstock to produce isomerate, a cleaner gasoline blend-stock that does not contain benzene, aromatics or olefins.
• The UOP fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) process to convert heavy feedstocks recovered from other refinery operations into high-octane gasoline.
• The UOP CCR Platforming process to convert low-quality naphtha to high-octane blending components for gasoline.
• The UOP Unionfining process to improve the quality of distillate boiling-range feedstocks to help meet tougher product specifications.
• The UOP Chlorsorb process to help meet stringent waste gas specifications.
• The Experion Process Knowledge System (PKS), the heart of the Integrated Control and Safety Systems (ICSS), which enables integration of all process control and safety systems and automation software under a single architecture.
• Safety Manager, which integrates process safety data, applications, system diagnostics and critical control strategies, and executes defined safety applications in a fully redundant architecture.
• Fire and gas safety systems, which include SIL3 certified safety systems connected to fire detectors, fire alarm panels, fire suppression systems, gas detectors, sounders and beacons to minimize the impact of any abnormal situations.
•UniSim training simulators, which enable industrial sites better plan, deploy and manage a structured program for operator competency.
For more information, visit: www.honeywellprocess.com