Tornado Demonstration At Nevada Science Museum Injures 13

By Chemical Processing Staff

Sep 04, 2014

A tabletop demonstration about the mechanics of tornadoes turned dangerous Wednesday when the presenter applied the chemicals in the wrong sequence and a flash fire resulted, according to an article in The Huffington Post. Thirteen people were injured at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum, most of them children.

The employee poured alcohol onto a cotton ball that had been dusted with boric acid and partially ignited. The alcohol is meant to precede the boric acid and the flame. Reno firefighters were called to the scene and the Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating. Methyl alcohol and boric acid are often combined because they can create green flames.

Read the article here.

Join the discussion

We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.
All comments will display your user name.

Want to participate in the discussion?

Register for free

Log in for complete access.

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments