Getting pressure sensors to last in the corrosive, volatile, and hazardous environments typically found in the chemical industry is a challenge. This paper focuses on improvements in pressure technology, specifically ceramic cells and other safety features that make today’s pressure sensors ideal for a broad range of applications.06/19/2019
Even a small investment in digital transformation can provide opportunities to build momentum and knowledge across the organization. Knowing what others are doing can help you pinpoint where to begin.
To help stay on top of the trends, Chemical Processing has put together an eHandbook. It includes insight on:
- Chemical Makers Embrace the Cloud -- Its significant potential advantages are spurring increasing adoption
- IIoT Spurs Vendor Collaboration -- Alliances allow chemical makers to more easily pursue digitalization opportunities
- Digitalization Drives Development -- German firms BASF and Evonik are funding technologies that further advance R&D efforts
When considering a temperature control system for chemical processing, precision and accuracy are critical. Find out how to select the best temperature control system by following these five key steps.04/17/2019
If an out-of-control situation is detected, you can quickly make changes to bring the process back into control. It’s a dance that requires monitoring and action.
To help you with process-control footwork, Chemical Processing has put together an eHandbook. It includes insight on:
- Perform A Proper Pre-Startup Safety Review -- Protect personnel and processes by conducting a thorough review before operating new or updated units.
- Online Monitoring Optimizes Polymerization Processes -- Plant enhances product quality and reduces cycle times.
- Promptly Address Control Valve Issues -- Testing process helps screen for issues quickly without the need to pull equipment
Making an accurate level measurement in the gas phase reactor at any polyethylene or polypropylene plant is one of the most important and challenging tasks because of the varying density of the material inside. This paper compares the most common methods used to measure level in the gas phase reactor.03/13/2019
Sponsored By: Emerson
With increased attention to operational issues, such as product purity and losses, as well as regulator demands for more stringent leak detection and repair (LDAR) strategies, the quest to reduce fugitive emissions has taken on new urgency at many sites.
In this report you will learn about:
- Regulations requiring pressure relief devices
- Effectively monitoring pressure relief devices and valves
- Adopting enhanced leak detection and repair strategies
Read this report to see how leak detection and repair technology is adapting to increased regulatory demands and becoming a reliable, effective and economic way to monitor pressure relief valves.03/07/2019
There is a lot of confusion around Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) and the associated protection layers. While some may claim that “IEC 61508 certified equipment” is the way to go, others defend the concept of using field data collection and analysis of previously used general purposes instrumentation as the way to select appropriated instruments.
This white paper addresses the controversy surrounding discussions about determining the equipment to use in safety instrumented systems (SIS) and the rules for maintaining them.02/27/2019
Many companies have old DCS platforms. In computing terms, they’re ancient. Considering all that is connected and controlled by the DCS — thousands of field instruments, valves, operator interfaces and other devices working together to make the process run efficiently and reliably, having an ancient platform is flirting with disaster.
The risks are many:
- System failures
- Part availability issues
- Difficulty integrating new apps and systems
- Reduced support availability
- Operation inefficiency
While the headache of migration is sometimes too much to bear, fortunately, the DCS you install today may never have to be completely replaced because its modularity will allow it to be improved incrementally.
This white paper will detail the steps to make proper migration choices and manage the process to get more out of your DCS system.12/19/2018
The importance of selecting the right process automation technology can far outweigh the cost of an automation investment itself. Selecting the right technology and the right supplier can help your company respond quickly to changing market conditions, ensure long term maintainability, and minimize the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) over the life of your plant.
The convergence of process automation technologies such as PLC, DCS and SCADA systems have created a situation where it is more challenging than ever for process manufacturers to select the best technology for their application.
Download this white paper and learn:
- DCS vs. PLC vs. Hybrid - 5 Factors to consider
- Who to Include in the Decision Process
- Vendor Selection Criteria- 6 Key Considerations
Are you wasting money by following external weighing standards? Optimize your process tolerances for increased profitability.
External weighing standards may fulfill legal regulations, but these tolerances may not make sense for your process. With METTLER TOLEDO's exclusive Accuracy Calibration Certificate (ACC) with Good Weighing Practice, you can link your weighing equipment to tolerances that are specific to your unique process, allowing you to:
- Optimize product quality and consistency
- Document that you are weighing in the safe weighing range
- Assure accuracy of your results
- Decrease costs and increase profits
Loss of level control has contributed to significant industrial incidents that have caused catastrophic results and numerous fatalities. It is imperative that you do not underestimate the risk of overfilling and that you consider all factors involved in proper level oversight. Do you know the “Golden Rule” for nozzle placement for level measurements? Have you heard of the seven simple steps that can provide proper protection? Our latest eHandbook addresses these issues and more.
To help stay level, we’ve put together another Chemical Processing eHandbook. It includes advice on:
• Properly Measure Liquid/Liquid Interfaces -- Follow a simple rule for location of level gauge nozzles
• Don’t Underestimate Overfilling’s Risk -- High level can pose serious hazards but seven simple steps can prevent them
• Select the Correct Non-Contact Sensor -- 3D, radar and laser scanners all provide continuous level measurement but suit different applications.
• Increase Ultrasonic Sensor Reliability -- Familiarity with application environments, transducers and product design can help inform purchasing decisions07/19/2017
Reactor cleaning is an often-overlooked area to tap into efficiency. The advantages of water jetting are multiplied by automation, which makes cleaning completely hands-free.
This report sponsored by NLB takes a look at how these systems not only allow companies to maintain (and improve) high levels of productivity and safety — but help them keep up with changing market demands. Download this NLB Special Report for insights and strategies including:
- Assess Heat Exchanger Performance -- A proper evaluation can determine whether a shutdown is needed
- Clean Reactors With Water Jets -- Automated high-pressure water jet systems provide efficient, hands-free operation to help maintain and improve productivity and safety.
Smart Commissioning is a technology-enabled process that drastically reduces commissioning time and effort decoupling the physical I/O design from the functional design. In this white paper from Emerson, see how the advancements are far reaching and improve the full commissioning process from system design, to device binding and configuration, to testing and documentation.05/10/2017
Migrating modern control systems can be complex, often requiring detailed upfront planning, a methodical implementation strategy, and astute project management. Perhaps one of the largest challenges process engineers face is building a case and justifying a control system upgrade or migration project. To help, we have teamed up with Daniel Roessler to provide you with a complimentary chapter of his book titled “Migration Project Justification.”
In this Free Chapter Download you will learn:
- How to determine the best migration or upgrade approach
- How to define your return on investment
- Major challenges legacy control systems have including: system failures, part availability and obsolescence issues, reduced support service availability, operational inefficiency
You will also find out how to receive a hard copy of Daniel’s entire book (a $90 value) for free.03/21/2017
The right handheld gives technicians more flexibility in both the field and the workshop, helping them to save time and feel more confident about the device repairs and configurations performed on a day-to-day basis. With Power the Loop technology in the AMS Trex communicator, technicians have more power than ever at their fingertips. Download the whitepaper to see how Power the Loop impacts three key areas of daily operation.03/21/2017
Calibration of weighing equipment is one of the most important activities within any quality management system. But is a passed calibration enough?
This white paper from Mettler Toledo explores the difference between calibration and adjustment. Uncover why the true value of calibration lies in assessing according to your own tolerances. Learn how to improve your weighing processes by identifying your safe weighing range and how to prevent poor product quality due to weighing devices.12/07/2016
Have you ever received a call in the middle of the night because of a plant operational crisis that took longer to correct than you would like? What you may not know is that modeling technology, which solves these kinds of complex process issues, can be accessed by your team through an easy to use Microsoft Excel® interface. Download this white paper today and discover how your company can build a model-based culture to improve plant operations and performance.04/06/2016
The chemical processing industry has a unique set of requirements that makes shopping for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and business systems in general, a challenging experience. Although the more advanced business systems continue to add features applicable to functions throughout the enterprise, including operations management, supply chain, finance, and so on, only a few vendors offer systems that meet the particular needs of chemical processors.
This Chemical Processing Special Report takes a look at how chemicals manufacturers are meeting these challenges head on. Download this Chemical Processing Special Report and learn more about ERP Systems including:
- Consider Integrated Technology: An ERP system should be easy to implement, use and upgrade as business evolves. Learn more about: Vertical Integration, Horizontal Integration; Asset-vx.-Labor-Intensive; Continuous v. Discrete Manufacturing; Risk Management; Integrated Deployment
- Get the Most from Your Data: Research shows how effective ERP systems significantly impact business outcomes. Data results include: Do companies with more user-friendly and accessible enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems enjoy more positive business outcomes? Are they more profitable? Do highly effective ERP systems help create a sharper upswing of revenue growth? How much difference does effective data really make to business success?
Power of data visualization and analytics to make better and faster decisions to optimize production
We’re all familiar with the phrase “taken out of context.” In analysis, it occurs when we do not include all of the structured and unstructured data that illuminates the real situation. As industry moves to rapidly embrace new analytical approaches like predictive analytics, it is more important than ever to capture all relevant data and information to create a rich context for analysis. In this white paper you will discover how you can use the power of data visualization and analytics to make better and faster decisions to optimize production and remain competitive. Download now.11/12/2015
AVEVA’s Digital Asset approach. Defining a new era of collaboration in capital projects and asset operations.
Discover how AVEVA’s approach to creating, sharing, maintaining and exploiting digital information across all stages of the asset life cycle delivers significant financial benefits for all involved in capital projects and asset operations.
Learn how the enhanced collaboration and transparency delivered by a unified Digital Asset:
- Brings improved schedule assurance and capital stewardship in the project phase
- Enhances safety and reliability in operations
- Is simple to adopt and does not disrupt existing business processes or contractual relationships
AVEVA’s Digital Asset approach benefits all OOs, EPCs, PMCs, sub-contractors and companies across the supply chain. Download now.06/24/2015