This paper describes how to select a transmitter based on best practices instead of the "surge-plus-10%" rule. It presents methodologies and tools to minimize unnecessary energy cost without increasing safety risk.08/27/2004
This eight-page PDF whitepaper discusses the importance of transmitter selection for centrifugal compressors. Appropriate selection is especially important in anti-surge and throughput control applications.03/14/2005
This paper presents best practices that allow the user to quantify the impact of real-world failure causes and to take credit for improvements in system design. Besides selection, it also covers installation and maintenance.08/27/2004
This 39-page whitepaper discusses the importance of a suitable thermodynamic method for process modelling.03/08/2005
High-pressure water jetting is powerful and versatile, helping contractors and industrial companies do hundreds of challenging jobs.
While many jobs are still done manually, new semi-automated systems can maximize three elements crucial to any company’s success: productivity, safety and environmental responsibility.05/12/2015
L.J. Star’s new 13-page engineering handbook covers the selection and application of sight flow indicators in chemical and pharmaceutical applications. There are many types of sight flow indicators, and the choice of which type is best for a particular application and process system is discussed in detail. A handy reference for experienced engineers and a useful guide for those new to sight flow indicators, it offers a full overview of sight flow indicators, covering design, materials, types of indication, types of glass, accessories, plus installation and maintenance tips.05/14/2013
White paper provides descriptions and the cleaning efficiency levels of the most commonly used tank cleaning practices, including specific case studies on the cost-saving benefits of rotary impingement tank cleaning and CIP optimization vs. standard tank cleaning processes.08/27/2012
This 15-page PDF whitepaper discusses the relative frequency of silo failure and how you might be able to prevent it from happening.03/08/2005
Employ key "green" business technologies to reduce paper consumption, as well as comply with key regulations. Discover how Business Process Management and Document Management solutions can significantly slash material costs, while improving user productivity.08/30/2010
With changes in temperature, pressure, density and viscosity all affecting volumetric flowmeter measurement, how can continuous processors accurately measure the flow of fluids? Download this Special Report to find out how Coriolis flowmeters provide a direct mass measurement that is unaffected by changing process fluid characteristics improving both accuracy and optimizing operations at your plant.03/30/2009
Welded vessels play a key role in most processes. However, few plants now have in-depth expertise in materials selection, fabrication and design of such vessels. As a result, plant staff often make errors that can be costly as well as compromise the suitability and life of the vessel. This three-part special report provides practical pointers that can help you avoid common mistakes and get the most appropriate, durable and cost-effective vessel.
- Part 1 looks at a dozen important factors to consider in materials selection, including metal selection and appropriate use of corrosion allowances and coatings. It includes pointers gleaned from first-hand experiences that can help you avoid costly mistakes and delays.
- Part 2 provides tips on how to avoid delays and achieve savings in the fabrication process. It also covers techniques that can improve vessel reliability and thus forestall costly repairs down the road.
- Part 3 gets into design issues. It condenses the 5,000+ pages of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code into a simple guide when specifying vessels, heat exchangers and tanks. It focuses on 10 key factors.
Download your Chemical Processing special report now.10/28/2014
For years the industry has been talking green. But what real strides have been made? Will a Presidential Executive Order compel the industry to speed up efforts to actually go green? While pollution prevention was the original goal of green chemistry, todays efforts promise to have a substantial economic impact. This Special Report will bring you up to speed on fruitful efforts to go green including an update on the growing interest in bio-based feedstocks.05/27/2008
An exciting trend in the world of CMMS is the increasing sophistication of condition-based maintenance (CBM) features and functions vendors offer and maintenance professionals actually use. This Special Report covers:
* Six steps to condition-based maintenance
* Bolster your condition monitoring toolbox
* Protect your condition-monitoring program from the recession guillotine
* Go beyond condition monitoring12/22/2009
For chemical processors, assuring safe operations is always top of mind. In this Chemical Processing Special Report we take a look at three distinct areas of operations and steps to insure best safety practices in each.
- HIPS for Reactive Processes – how this safety-instrumented systems offer advantages over pressure relief valves
- HART DIAGNOSTICS - in safety instrumented system (SIS) field devices have been used for many years by several different SIS vendors. HART diagnostics provide much more information on the health of a field device than can be determined from a standard 4–20 mA signal.
- Proof testing - how this modern method improves efficiency, reduces errors, and meets compliance requirements
Waste gas incinerators react oxygen with waste hydrocarbons at high temperature to produce a clean flue gas. A perfect incinerator would have a destruction and removal efficiency (DRE) of 100%, zero fuel usage and zero emission of carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. A small amount of the original hydrocarbons always remains, though. If 1% is left, the DRE is 99%. Some CO and NOx always are produced, too. However, NOx emissions are lower for a regenerative thermal oxidizer (RTO) than for almost any other type of thermal oxidizer. With the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and local air boards requiring DRE values from 95% upward, effectively dealing with waste gas means ensuring compliance with the added benefit of reduced energy costs. In this Special Report we take a look at how an RTO often can offer an effective and fuel-efficient options for cutting the cost of waste gas incineration, how technologies transform greenhouse gas into a feedstock for chemicals, how the right emission control system can help meet compliance and reduce energy costs and several steps that play a crucial role for setting up an effective greenhouse gas monitoring plan. Download now.11/12/2015
Reducing energy consumption and your plants environmental impact is a hot topic. In this Special Report we take a look at the organizational obstacles to avoid, how to enroll your employees in the quest, and the steps you need to take in order to manage your energy costs. We also delve in to practical energy efficient applications such as recovering exhaust heat in air conditioned facilities and the use of carbon synchronous belts.10/01/2008
The chemical processing industry has a unique set of requirements that makes shopping for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and business systems in general, a challenging experience. Although the more advanced business systems continue to add features applicable to functions throughout the enterprise, including operations management, supply chain, finance, and so on, only a few vendors offer systems that meet the particular needs of chemical processors.
This Chemical Processing Special Report takes a look at how chemicals manufacturers are meeting these challenges head on. Download this Chemical Processing Special Report and learn more about ERP Systems including:
- Consider Integrated Technology: An ERP system should be easy to implement, use and upgrade as business evolves. Learn more about: Vertical Integration, Horizontal Integration; Asset-vx.-Labor-Intensive; Continuous v. Discrete Manufacturing; Risk Management; Integrated Deployment
- Get the Most from Your Data: Research shows how effective ERP systems significantly impact business outcomes. Data results include: Do companies with more user-friendly and accessible enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems enjoy more positive business outcomes? Are they more profitable? Do highly effective ERP systems help create a sharper upswing of revenue growth? How much difference does effective data really make to business success?
Heat transfer fluids -- from mineral oils to synthetic and organic-based formulas -- are the lifeblood of many critical operations within the process industries. This special, interactive PDF looks at how plant personnel can better understand various fluids and fluid properties, and track the performance of their entire heat transfer system.03/21/2011
Even though thermal-fluid heating systems have been widely used for over 80 years, they still provoke a certain amount of fear and trepidation in users. This anxiety is reinforced by any number of horror stories that usually involve systems that suddenly develop a "problem" after years of trouble-free operation. This Chemical Processing Special Report: Make the Most of Heat Transfer Fluids delves in to the issues surrounding heat transfer fluids. Learn about:
- Thermal fluids - dispel common myths about hot oil systems
- Avert oxidation - how nitrogen can serve as an inert barrier to prevent heat-transfer fluid from contacting atmospheric air through the expansion tank
- Steam vs. hot oil - a key tradeoff complicates the choice between steam and a hot oil system to heat water
Perhaps the most critical challenge facing the automation industry is that of aging control systems at or near the end of their product lifecycles. A legacy control system can suffer from technical, functional or supply obsolescence. With a well-planned and executed control system migration, however, plants can improve availability and reliability, while increasing production flexibility. In this Chemical Processing Special Report: Making the Most of Migration, we take a look at: Obsolescence planning – addressing concerns and planning for a successful evolution strategy; Restoration Possibilities – how new tools and innovative methods support and breath new life into aging distributed control systems; DCS Migration; More! Download your copy of this Chemical Processing Special Report: Making the Most of Migration now!08/27/2013