John Corn Forum Moderator 6 Posts
Re: British to SI measurement system transition22 February 2007 at 1:29pmThis is not a small undertaking.
Step 1: Identify all non-SI occurrences at the site, including:
- Process Instruments (naturally)
- Process Safety Information (PSI)
- Process Documentation (like P&IDs, and PFDs)
- Operation Procedures
- Analysis Worksheets
- Certificates of Analysis (for Customers)
- Tank (volume), Vessel (volume), and line (flow)
Step 2: Develop a list of all changes in the form of:
- Instruments (replacement)
- Instruments (re-range and re-scale)
- P&ID Redo (Walk-downs and updates)
- All Production Documents All that need re-work and re-issue
Step 3: Develop a staged implementation
Step 4: Assign a cost to each item (both capital $$ and estimated man hours)
- Total all costs, multiply by 1.3 --- thats your budget
- Estimate timing in each of the stages
- Create a Gantt Chart for the activity.
Step 5: Obtain written approval for both the capital and manpower
Step 6: Implement
Note: Ensure that the plant operators are involved. The project will be resisted by the long-term operators.