CP50: Dow Corning Corp.
Dow Corning was established in 1943 specifically to explore the potential of silicones. It was created as a joint venture between Corning Glass Works (now Corning, Inc.) and The Dow Chemical Co.
Today Dow Corning provides solutions to serve the diverse needs of more than 20,000 customers worldwide. A global leader in silicon-based technology and innovation, offering more than 7,000 products and services, Dow Corning is equally owned by The Dow Chemical Co. and Corning, Inc. More than half of Dow Corning’s annual sales are outside the United States.
Robert D. Hansen
President and CEO
Hansen added the role of CEO in May 2011. Elected president November 2010, he joined Dow Cornings finance function in 1982 in Midland. Over the years, his leadership roles have taken him all over the world, including executive oversight as manager of the South American Region and president of the European Area. His diverse commercial experience eventually led to his most recent responsibilities as executive vice president for Dow Cornings Core Products Business. <br><br> Hansen is a graduate of Valparaiso University, where he earned a bachelor of science degree in business administration.
Vice President, Manufacturing, Engineering and Global Operations
Kaufman joined Dow Corning in 1981 as a process design engineer. His involvement in plant design and commissioning included the Barry, Wales expansion and led to various production leadership roles in Midland. He held a business-controller position prior to becoming product line manager and leading the revitalization of Dow Corning’s silane capabilities and market position. Kaufman returned to production leadership as Midland Site manager where he implemented several key sustainability and growth initiatives and helped establish a Renaissance Zone for the site. He was appointed business vice president of core manufacturing in 2008 and elected to his current position of vice president for manufacturing, engineering and global operations in 2010, and member of the HSC board of directors in 2012.
- Dow Corning Corp.
- PO Box 994
- Midland, Mich. 48686-0994
Featured content related to Dow Corning Corp.
Dow Corning Corp. News
- Dow Corning Partners with PolyOne to Distribute Silicone Products in China
- Dow Corning and imec to Develop Technologies for 3-D IC Semiconductor Packaging
- Hemlock Semiconductor to Lay Off 400 Employees
- Dow Corning to Layoff 500 Workers
- Dow Corning Names VP, Electronics Solutions
- Xiameter Expands Silicone Product Offering
Dow Corning Corp. Articles
- Dow Corning's CEO Earns Prestigious Award; Company Gets Safety Accolade
- Dow Corning Sends Volunteers to India; Optimizes Service In Europe and Middle East
- Dow Corning Vows To Help Customers; Focuses On Efficiency And Sustainability
- Dow Corning Invests Billions, Goes To China, Wins Green Award, And Has Scientist Head ACS
- ACS President: Passion and the Seven Cs Will Help You Navigate A Tough Economy
- Process Converts Residues into Syngas
Dow Corning produces more than 7,000 silicone-based products such as adhesives, insulating materials, and lubricants for aerospace, automotive, and electrical uses. Because silicone does not conduct electricity, it is also used in its hard polycrystalline form (silicon) as the material on which semiconductors are built. Its products are also used in the production of photovoltaic cells used to produce solar energy. With plants worldwide, the company sells more than half of its products outside the US.