John G. Pendergast is a Freeport, Texas,-based scientist, senior technical leader in the Engineering and Process Sciences group of The Dow Chemical Co., David Vickery is a senior process engineering associate at Dow’s Engineering Solutions Technology Center in Midland, Mich., Patrick Au-Yeung is a senior research specialist in the Engineering and Process Sciences group in Midland, and Joe Anderson is a senior research specialist at Dow’s Michigan Operations, Midland. E-mail them at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Adler, S., Beaver, E., Bryan, P., Robinson, S. and J. Watson, Vision 2020: 2000 Separations Roadmap, Center for Waste Reduction Technologies, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, New York City (2000).
2. Wright, R. O., “Fractionation Apparatus,” U. S. Patent 2,471,134 (May 24, 1949).
3. Schultz, M. A., Stewart, D. G., Harris, J. M., Rosenblum, S. P., Shakur, M. S. and D. E. O’Brien, “Reduce Costs with Dividing Wall Columns,” p. 64, CEP (May 2002).
4. Slade, B., Stober, B. and D. Simpson, “Dividing Wall Column Revamp Optimizes Mixed Xylenes Production,” IChemE Symp. Series, No. 152, Institution of Chemical Engineers, Rugby, U.K. (2006).
5. Becker, H., Godorr, S., Kreis, H. and J. Vaughan, “Partitioned Distillation Columns — Why, When & How,” Chem. Eng., p. 68 (Jan. 2001).
6. Mizsey, P., Hau, N. T., Benko, N., Kalmar, I. and Z. Fonyo, “Process Control for Energy Integrated Distillation Schemes,” Computers & Chem. Eng., Vol. 22, p. S427 (1998).
7. Triantafyllou, C. and R. Smith, “The Design and Optimisation of Fully Thermally Coupled Distillation Columns,” Trans. IChemE, Vol. 70, Part A, p. 118 (March 1992).
8. Annakou, O. and P. Mizsey “Rigorous Comparative Study of Energy-Integrated Distillation Schemes,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., Vol. 35, No. 6, p. 1,877 (1996).
9. Agrawal, R. and Z. T. Fidkowski, “Are Thermally Coupled Distillation Columns Always Thermodynamically More Efficient for Ternary Distillations?,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., Vol. 37, No. 8, p. 3,444 (1998).
10. Serra, M., Espuna, A. and L. Puigjaner, “Control and Optimization of the Divided Wall Column,” Chem. Eng. and Process., Vol. 38, p. 549 (1999).
11. Petlyuk, F. B., Platonov, V. M. and D. M. Slavinskii, “Thermodynamically Optimal Method for Separating Multicomponent Mixtures,” Intl. Chem. Eng., Vol. 5, No. 3, p. 555 (1965).